Visiting Arizona: part 1

March 6, 2010

Last summer my younger brother moved down to Phoenix, Arizona for a job coaching basketball at WestWind High School. I finally got the chance to visit him this past weekend and spend some time in the dry dessert sun. On Saturday we made a day trip up to Sedona to see the amazing Red Rocks. It was beautiful! And so different than anything you can find here is Western Washington. Arizona is having a pretty wet winter by recent standards (though one long time local informed me that this amount of rain was normal 30 or so years ago) and the result- green hillsides in Arizona! So the trip up to Sedona was very pretty too.

You got to admit, this roadside photo looks more like Oklahoma then the Southwest. The clouds were amazing on Saturday.


Welcome to Sedona!
I loved the pueblo looking church in front of the steep, jagged red rocks.
And they say Washington has to many unpronounceable names. I'll take Snohomish and Sequim over this one any day. Pronounced: tuh-la-kuh-pah-kee
This was a shopping center in Sedona where we stopped for lunch at the Oak Creek Brewery. They had a great fitlered Hefeweizen infused with vanilla and a touch of mandarin orange, slightly sweet and tasty.
The skies turned dark while we were out hiking and we made it back to the car just as the rain and hail hit. Made for some beautiful sky photos though.
Yes, Arizona has cactus. Lots and lots.
And Agave, the plant Tequila hails from. Pretty cool looking.


Those cactus spikes are amazing, they are huge! I loved finding the red cactus in the red rock and dirt.



Dusk brought a reprieve from the rain and more amazing views.



I'll be posting more of my trip over the next week or so. We also visited Tempe and the Botanical Garden (spoiler alert: they have cactus there) and I have more puppy photos to share, this time of Carter, my brother's newest addition.

No comments: